Friday, February 18, 2011

A Star is Born



Today I had the sweet privilege of holding a newborn baby girl. It was most definitely the highlight of my week, so I had to share a picture.

While I was holding Stella today, I silently wished babies would never grow up.

I am a sucker for those fat little feet. Those itty bitty fingernails. That death-grip reflex that connects their hand to your finger. I love their fantastic toothless smiles and butter smooth skin.

To me, babies are perfect. They are in a constant state of bliss. Sleeping and dreaming and eating is their world. Their mama is never more than a few steps away, ready to meet their every need with constant loving care. Babies are unblemished, unscathed by the upsetting, hurtful, broken world we live in.

But when I think about how much goodness Stella will add to this world, I know for certain that she has to grow. With her dad's free spirit and her mom's hilarious sense of humor, she will be a light to the world. She will bring joy and fun and caring wherever she goes.

So naturally this made me think about why God wants us to grow. He wants us to use our life experiences to enrich the lives of others around us. He allows us to make mistakes so we can learn from them. He allows us to face hard things so we can learn to trust Him fully. He allows us to be in darkness so we can be lights. And best of all - He is never more than a breath away, ready to meet our every need with constant loving care.



Welcome to the world, Stella Rae! Let that little light shine!!!

Now I know:
Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation. Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life. -Philippians 2:14-15-

3 comments:

  1. Jillian-Tears came to my eyes when I read this. You have a beautiful gift of writing and for inspiring people. What a wonderful array of words to describe this precious gift, Stella. Thank you for writing sweet words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww!!! Welcome to the world Stella! I LOVE that name. She is soooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Momma and Grammy can't handle this...it's too sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete