Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Bell Tower Blues
Sometimes I get a little good-natured ribbing from some of my friends about how much Furman gear I have.
I mean, I do have a couple Furman sweatshirts, a pair of Furman sweatpants (I never REALLY wear them with the sweatshirts except for this pic, don't worry), a Furman hat, many, many Furman t-shirts, and a Furman lunchbox. Is that overkill? I think not.
That said, tonight I'm wearing my oversized navy blue Furman sweatshirt and am missing lots of things about my alma mater.
I have the Bell Tower Blues.
At the risk of looking like a washed-up co-ed desperately clinging to her college days, here is a list of things I miss about what I consider to be the best 4-year University anywhere. Maybe you Paladins can relate. I miss:
1. The view of the Bell Tower at sunset
2. Not having to go to a gym to run because a perfectly amazing park surrounded you. Doesn't get better than a run around the Furman lake.
3. Living with the three best friends a girl could ask for and spending every waking minute learning and laughing with them (Miss you Shannon, Amanda, and Lauren!!!!)4. Ubiquitous acronyms: DH, PAC, CLPs
5. Paladen Chicken Caesar wraps
6. A perfectly gorgeous library with fountain views to study in
7. Free movies with free popcorn
8. Free carnivals with free funnel cakes
9. Free concerts with free good sounds for my ears
10. Now that I think about it I'm still paying off 7-9 with interest...but they were free then ;)
11. Research papers - they were like a treasure hunt! (Yep, I'm a nerd)
12. Weeknights and weekends positively crowded with fun
13. My first semester freshman year, my first class was at noon. Those were the days.
14. Dancing to "It's Raining Men" at my Kappa Delta functions
15. The balconies on Lakeside housing
17. Walking everywhere I went
18. Turning things in to be graded - instead of having to constantly grade things myself
19. O-week - I want to go to My Tie again!!!!
20. Black Bean Cake Thursday
21. Writing for FUNet
22. Reading ridiculously dense articles and books outside in the sunshine
23. The feeling of complete and total freedom you get after finishing all of your exams
24. My little Mainstage performances
25. Hearing brilliant lectures from eloquent, passionate professors daily. They inspired me to be a critical thinker, a detailed writer, an engaging teacher.
Now I know:
Sweet memories last longer than student loan debt.