Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Yeah, I Know It's Not Sunday


The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you
and be gracious to you;
and the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you
peace.



This was the benediction that the pastor of my church proclaimed at the end of the service on Sunday morning. To me, these are some of the most simple, beautiful, precious words of the entire church service.

I look forward to the benediction every single week - not just because the words are thousands of years old, or because it's a blessing that has been proclaimed over God's people for generations, but because of something small that we are asked to do.

Before he says the benediction, Reverend Habig asks us to look up. He asks us to hold out open hands and receive this blessing.

I love that idea. All it takes for me to receive God's blessing is to look up, and open my hands.

Now I know:
I need to look up and open my hands to receive God's blessing every single day- not just during the benediction.

No comments:

Post a Comment