Thursday, March 3, 2011

Thin Mint Revelations


I don't know about you, but my very favorite Girl Scout Cookie flavor is Thin Mint.

No...not because they're in a green box. ;) Although that is a nice coincidence considering the title of my blog.

I have always been a fan of that perfectly balanced, crunchy mint-chocolate chip combination. And oh buddy, when you put them in the freezer?! Delectable. They should come with a warning like Lay's potato chips...cause you know you can't eat just one.

Anyway, I've been sitting here looking at my quickly depleting stash of Thin Mints, and it makes me a little sad. No, not because four cookies have 160 calories. (Sorry to whoever didn't want to know that).

No...I'm sad because I know once my boxes run out, that will be it. And I'm wondering: why, oh why aren't Girl Scout cookies available all year? Why do we have to wait a whole year for Thin Mints to come back around?

This may be a little bit heretical, but I'd like to liken this rationing of Thin Mint goodness to the plight of the Israelites wandering through the desert. Humor me and hang with my extended metaphor for a minute...

God gave them manna, and the Israelites could take as much as they needed each day. But do you remember what happened if they tried to stockpile it so they didn't have to gather it each morning? That's right. Maggots.

God wants to give us just enough for each day so that we stay dependent on Him and trust Him to provide for everything we need.

The really striking part of the story, to me, is that in spite of what God had graciously, generously given, the Israelites were always griping and complaining.

They didn't trust Him.

They weren't happy with just enough.

They wanted more than they had received.

They lost faith quite often and sometimes didn't even believe they would ever make it to the Promised Land.

Wow. That sure sounds a lot like me.

Now I know:
If God gave out Girl Scout badges, I'd still be earning my Trust badge. I bet it would have a Thin Mint on it.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jillian, I usually read your blog when you post it on Facebook. However, I almost didn't read this one because the one thing I don't eat in this world is mint chocolate! :) But, I'm glad I did, because God giving us just enough manna for today is exactly what I needed to hear tonight. So thank you!
    Long time reader, first time commenter,
    Jonathan Davis

    ReplyDelete
  2. remember the days when we used to eat a whole sleeve at a time??? yeah, those were the best...sigh... :)

    ReplyDelete