Saturday, March 12, 2011

Song Saturday #6



If I ever got the chance to meet Jason Mraz, I'm sure I'd scream and swoon, probably faint even, like a girl seeing one of the Beatles.

He's one of my favorites and is one of the very best performers I've ever seen live. I've had the chance to see him twice, once at Converse College in Spartanburg, and again last year at the Peace Center.

In case you didn't know, Jason Mraz isn't just a singer.

He isn't just a songwriter.

He is a performer.

No...he is an ARTIST. Jason Mraz puts on a show that makes me wish it was a painting so I could hang it up on my wall and bask in its glory every single day.

I've been to a lot of concerts. A lot, people. But this kind of concert is special. You don't feel like you're listening to the perfectly mixed and balanced CD. You can still sing along, but the performer is changing things, mixing them up, adding some sounds and riffs and ad-libs that you've never heard before. And music that you thought couldn't get any better? Well, it gets better.

It's like indulging in a warm chocolate chip cookie. Cookies are good, right? But listening to Jason Mraz sing is an ooey-gooey warm straight from the oven chocolate chip cookie.

When he steps on stage, Mr. A-Z starts singing what you think is a new song - its something you've never heard him sing before. Then you realize - he's making it up on the spot. That's right, he's improvising an entire song. Maybe he thought out the hook beforehand, but the perfect phrases are flowing from his mouth like wine from a bottle. Just like wine to parched seas of people, begging him for just one more note.

Or maybe fat people on a diet begging for one more taste of that warm chocolate chip cookie...?

Anyway when I saw him at Converse, Jason came out rapping/singing about being at an all-girls school. He was flirting with all of us at once, effectively winning us over in 30 seconds. Brilliant.

At the Peace Center, his opening song brought tears to my eyes. I own every song he's ever put out, so I knew this was either a made-up diddy or something yet-to-be released. I desperately tried to cling to each word and memorize it.

Because something he was singing was resonating deep within me.

This song, "Who I Am Today," is a song of gratitude. About all the good and the not so good and the unnoticeable people that make you who you are.

Every bully, every behind-the-scenes worker, every heartbreak, every success, every miserable failure, every bad test grade, every pat on the back, every engineer and teacher and janitor - they shape your life, they make you who you are today.

I'm trying to live in green, and this song is my new anthem of gratitude.

Now I know:
Thank you to everyone reading this. You make me who I am today.




Who I Am Today

I thank the boys who kicked my ass when I was 17
I thank the ones who chose to laugh and those who acted mean
I thank the bullies for all their scraps and accidents and then some
They shaped my life; they made me like who I've become

I thank the girls who gave a hand and showed me how to dance
I thank the ones who laughed and passed who never gave a second chance
I learned that it's okay for some to go and some to stay
They shaped my life; they made me love who I am today
They shaped my life; they made me love who I am today
And I, I know, that life is good

I thank the captains of the boats who brave the seas
I thank the farmers for the sowing of the seeds
I thank the men who paved the roads I'm traveling on
They shaped my life, they took me down the path I've gone
They shaped my life, they took me down the path I've gone

I thank the volunteers for giving up their time for free
I thank the engineers; all those who keep our water clean
I thank the janitors for all their years behind the scenes
They shaped my life they taught me generosity
They shaped my life they let me see who I could be
So, i, i know, life is good

I thank the galaxy for how it made up gravity
I thank the sky above for hosting clouds to float on top of me
They gave me air to breathe and give me rain and give me snow
They shaped my life, they gave me so much room to grow

I thank the frogs, and daddy long legs and the bees
I thank the microorganisms under every tree
I thank the fertile soil for the life behind the food I eat
They shaped my life they gave me possibility
And I, I know, that life is good...
yes I, I know....

I Thank the boy who kicked my ass when I was 17
I thank the ones who laughed and those who acted mean
I thank the bullies for all the names they called along the way
They shaped my life; they made me love who I am today
They shaped my life; they made me love who I am today
You shape my life. You make me love who I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment